Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why Air Dry Clay Instead of Play-Doh?

Are you a teacher of young children, a parent or a grandparent?  You might want to read this article that I came across at PaperWorksOutlet.  The author points out some interesting benefits of using air-dry clay over PlayDoh when crafting with the kids.   The writer says:  "The best thing about the clay however, is
what you can do with it. It is very malleable and you can make absolutely anything with it. It also dries hard and the children can permanently keep any of the items they make with the clay."


Crayola Air-Dry Clay is also available in large 'classroom-size' packages.  A 25-lb box costs between $30 and $40, depending on where you're purchasing.   The manufacturer's description says it's...."Easy-to-use, nontoxic white clay. The clay makes solid, durable forms without need for baking in an oven or firing in a kiln. Smoother, finer and less sticky than traditional clay. Softens easily with water. Quickly cleans from hands and surfaces. Paint with tempera, acrylic or watercolors when dry."

Don't confuse Crayola Air-Dry Clay with Model Magic or Model Magic FUSION, which are also made by Crayola.   The Model Magic clays are very different in texture (and cost).  Both Model Magic and Fusion are available in colors and are softer and squishier than Crayola Air-Dry Clay. 

Personally, I like Crayola Air-Dry Clay and Model Magic for some adult crafts too.  The Crayola ADC is especially useful for making rocks and stucco for dollhouse embellishment because the texture (when cured) is slightly rough.  Model Magic has a similar consistency to cold porcelain, so it works great for modeling simple and cute figures.   Model Magic FUSION I find too sticky for my own projects.   Also, when cured, FUSION remains a bit soft and will dent easy.

5 comments:

  1. I support the fact too, that Air Dry Clay is way better, and easier for kids to play with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, I've never heard of Air Dry Clay until I bumped into this post. I used to buy my kids with play-doh for their project at school. Well, the next time, I'll purchase an air dry clay instead. :)

    --------------
    fire safety perth

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Carla. Of the 3 Crayola products, I prefer Model Magic when working with my grandkids, ages 2 to 7, and they like it also because of the colors and softness. Crayola "Air-Dry Clay" is white only but can be painted. Model Magic Fusion is very 'sticky' and works well to cover things such as vases and cardboard shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello can you re use the air dry clay after it dries? you know like poring it in water and let it evaporate and re use it? Please let me know thru my email at brunop39@yahoo.com its easier for me,,thanks for any info.
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  5. I replied to Anonymous by email as requested. Some air-dry clays can be re-constituted with water but it's not designed to be resuable over and over. Once it's cured, that's it. If you want clay that is reusable, try plasticine. It never hardens and figures made with this can be taken apart & clay re-used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment! ;-)
Sorry I had to re-instate the 'word verification'...I'm getting far too much spam in the comment box.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...